Living in Houston, chances are you have some mixed feelings about the summer heat. On one hand, it’s the perfect excuse for pool parties, margaritas, and backyard BBQs. On the other hand, your A/C bill goes through the roof, your sunscreen budget triples, and even walking across the parking lot can mean a change of clothes.
While your feelings towards the heat may be mixed, your car pretty much hates it. From the paint job to the engine, Houston heat is rough on your car. It takes some special care to make it through the summer damage-free. Don’t panic! By following our simple tips and taking good care of your car, you can keep it looking good and running smooth all summer long!
Protecting Your Car’s Exterior from the Heat
Intense, direct sunlight can wreak havoc on your paint job. Save yourself from unsightly heat damage and the expense of a new paint job by following these simple suggestions.
- Park in the Shade: Whenever possible, spare your car the sun’s heat altogether by parking in a garage, under a tree, or under an awning when possible. It’s not the end-all-be-all, but it can go a long way towards keeping your exterior safe.
- Regular Washes: Washing your car regularly can go a long way towards protecting its paint job. Dirt and grime build-up can reduce the paint’s ability to stick to the surface, a problem that only gets worse with the heat.
- Wax On: It may be a bit of a hassle, but waxing your car is the best way to truly protect it from the heat. The wax forms a barrier between your car’s paint and the combination of heat and dirt that weakens it. As an added bonus, your car will look shiny and smooth when you’re finished!
Keeping Your Car Running in the Heat
As rough as the heat can be on your car’s exterior, it can be just as taxing under the hood, if not more so! Follow these tips and avoid having to call a tow truck from the side of the freeway.
- Keep It Cool: In the scorching summer months, it doesn’t take much for your engine to run too hot. Have your belts and hoses inspected to make sure they are still in good shape. Make sure your coolant and transmission fluid levels are where they need to be.
- Check Your Battery: As bad as winter weather is for your battery, extreme heat is much worse. Cold might drain your battery faster, but heat can make it break down altogether. This problem is made worse if the battery is loose and prone to vibrating. Have your battery inspected to make sure it is fastened in properly. Ensure that its terminals and clamps are clean.
- Change Your Oil: You should always be keeping up with oil changes, but it’s especially important in the heat. Oil lubricates your vehicle’s moving parts and keeps them from overheating. If your levels are too low, your engine is likely to overheat, leaving you stranded on the side of the road.
Not Sure Where You Stand? Trust The Pros!
Whether you’re simply taking safe precautions or trying to fix damage that’s already been done, Colony One is here to help. Our team of expert, ASE-certified technicians are here to give you the honest and timely service you deserve. If you need repairs or maintenance in the Houston/Sugarland area, put your trust in Colony One to get your car back in shape. Come by the shop, call us, or request a service today!